How do I recognize the right travel insurance plan for me? (III)

travel insurance 03 1  

We will finish off this topic with this question:

What is the purpose of your trip? 


Here are the previous related articles:


How do I recognize the right travel insurance plan for me? (I)


How do I recognize the right travel insurance plan for me? (II)





It is always difficult to overcome the inertia to let an agent decide on a travel insurance plan for you or to go to a familiar insurer or bank to choose from what they offer.


However, we believe that in order to choose the most suitable travel insurance plan, one needs to evaluate objectively what coverages are most important for the particular trip.


This is the reason why it is necessary to sum up the factors you should consider in every situation, so that you can be sure of what you are actually paying for and to save by paying for only the best option for your trip.




Let’s get to our last question:


3. What is the purpose of your trip? (Seek adventure? Road trip?)


You should give a thought to the activities you will probably be involved in during your travel. Will you be hiking, diving or skiing?


If the answer is ‘yes’, you should choose a travel insurance plan with amateur sports cover that includes the activities. All recommended plans on our platform have amateur sports covered.


However, you are advised to take note of the exclusions imposed by the respective insurers on the various activities, i.e. the cover may compensate only up to a certain level for hiking and diving, or certain area for skiing.



Another essential coverage to have for an adventurous trip is whether the insurance plan includes emergency medical evacuation and repatriation. AXA SmartTraveller and NTUC TravelBliss are the best in this aspect as they offer unlimited cover for their insured regardless of the age group.


For those who are going on a free and easy road trip, you may want to focus on the travel inconvenience benefits, as well as rental vehicle excess cover and public transport double cover.



If you will be driving a rental car during your trip, you should get a travel insurance plan that includes the rental vehicle excess cover, as it reimburses you for any excess which you are responsible for due to the loss or accidental damage to the rental vehicle.


The excess amount is the out-of-pocket money from you before the balance claim amount becomes payable by the insurer which the motor insurance is bought from. Hence, the higher the rental vehicle excess benefit is, the better this cover is.


Do note that to be eligible for the claim, you will need to take up a comprehensive motor insurance during the rental period as part of the car rental agreement.


Should you be taking public transport during your travel, you may consider a travel insurance plan that includes the public transport double cover.


This cover provides an additional payout if unfortunately, the insured passes on within a certain period from an accident whilst travelling as a fare-paying passenger in a public transport whilst overseas.



Wow! There are so much to consider, but fret not! Let us assist you from our carefully selected travel insurance plans. It has never been easier to see the difference with our comparison table. Let’s keep your worries at bay and keep your holiday mood going!